With the advent of Smart TV technology, a whole range of interactive and multimedia functions have appeared on TVs. Users can choose a variety of films and TV series from online cinemas, view content on any video hosting site, and pause and rewind videos. The only thing that can spoil your leisure time in front of a smart TV is the network bandwidth. In this article, you will learn about what kind of Internet is needed to watch Smart TV, as well as whether its quality can be improved using the best mobile phone signal booster in the UK.
Different Smart-TV Content Requires Different Internet Speeds
Smart TVs provide greater entertainment options and access to information and content than conventional TVs, making them popular among consumers. With a Smart TV, you can watch videos from online platforms like Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and many more. This gives you access to a wide selection of movies, TV series, videos, and much more content. Smart TV provides the ability to watch videos in 4K, HD or 3D, and other formats. What internet speed is required for a smart TV:
- For video in 360p, 480p, and 720p, a network bandwidth of at least 2 Mbit/s is required.
- Video in HD: 3 Mbit/s.
- Full HD: minimum 4 Mbit/s.
- Ultra HD, 3D, 4K: from 20 Mbit/s.
These are average speed requirements for using standard IPTV functions without bugs. If the bandwidth is lower, the video broadcast of the film will be constantly interrupted, and the equipment will load the video in parts.
Since the home Internet is usually used for online games, work, study, or communication, you need to choose a more powerful tariff plan. Experts are sure that the Internet speed for Smart TV should be from 100 Mbit/sec. It will be divided among all devices connected to the network. If there is a streamer or gamer growing up in your family, it is better to choose a service package in the form of Internet + TV with a bandwidth of 500 Mbit/s.
Wireless Or Wired Connection: Which Internet Is Better For Smart TV
Wireless connection is possible, but due to interference or weather conditions, the picture will be unclear and the sound may be delayed. A TV with Smart technology will work well with mobile Internet, but failures may occur when network bandwidth changes or connected devices are on the same frequency. However, these problems can be solved with the help of mobile phone signal boosters.
Home fibre internet guarantees a full list of smart TV functions. The signal via optical fiber does not decrease when exposed to most external factors, so the quality of image, sound, and additional Smart TV options will always be at their best. To connect TVs with the Smart function, you will need a Wi-Fi router: that is, the Internet is transmitted over a wire, and the device transmits the signal to the equipment.
An Internet connection with a dynamic IP will reduce the number of additional settings for watching films and TV channels on Smart TV.
Experts recommend choosing routers primarily based on the possible throughput of the equipment. If its maximum values are low, then regardless of the selected tariff plan, high Internet speeds cannot be achieved.
What Determines The Internet Speed For Smart TV?
First of all, the Internet speed is affected by the type of connection: wired or wireless. But there are a number of other factors that affect the bandwidth and quality of played videos on Smart TV:
- Binding by MAC address. If the provider practices such binding, problems may arise with setting up the TV. In this case, you cannot do without purchasing a router.
- Tariff plan. The speed for several devices may not be enough for them to function fully. Then the Internet on your TV, computer, and gadgets will slow down.
- Inappropriate router specifications. If the Wi-Fi router does not support the speed declared by the provider, the Internet will not become faster even if you choose a tariff plan with high-speed Internet.
- There are no downloaded software updates for the router and smart TV. It is recommended to enable auto-update of additional packages. There is an option to flash the equipment manually through official websites. If a set-top box with the Smart function is connected to a regular TV, do not forget to check for its updates.
- The remote location of the router from the TV. You should reduce the distance between the router and the TV and check if there is a wall or large furniture in the way. This problem can also be solved using a signal amplifier.
- Multiple programs running in the background. Unclosed applications or a full cache, as well as a small amount of remaining memory on the TV, slow down the Internet speed.
- Incorrect settings. Sometimes connection settings get lost after automatic updates or other actions. The solution is to reset the settings to factory defaults and reset the necessary parameters.
- Channel congestion during a wireless connection. If the Internet on Smart TV has become slower, try choosing a different data transmission channel. In your Wi-Fi router, go to the settings and select the “Network” tab: find Channel and select the appropriate channel. Another option is the inSSIDEr utility; it will automatically switch you to a less busy channel.
If your Internet speed decreases, it is recommended to contact your provider. Perhaps the problem is on the company’s side.
Wrapping It Up
Using a Wi-Fi repeater can help improve the speed and quality of the Internet connection on your smart TV if you are having problems with your Wi-Fi signal. Repeaters work by strengthening and expanding the Wi-Fi signal, which can increase coverage and eliminate dead spots in your home. If you are in search of the best mobile phone or Wi-Fi signal booster in the UK, you can contact UCtel. It provides support in strengthening 3G, 4G, and 5G of such mobile operators as Tesco, Three, Virgin, Vodafone, O2 and others.